Uses of Fat Transfer in Plastic Surgery
For many years, adipose tissue has been used in autologous fat grafting for soft tissue filling. Fat grafting represent a method of choice for various clinical applications, such as
- Face: facial aging, facial traumatic deformities, face and neck burn or congenital facial deformities.
- Breast: Cosmetic enlargement of breast , congenital breast asymmetry or deformities, post-surgical breast deformities and asymmetry, after nursing breast ptosis and changes plus after weight loss breast ptosis and lack of volume.
- Buttock: Reshaping and enlargement, also lack of buttock volume and shape after massive weight loss
- Body shape deformity, irregularities or depressions or asymmetry whether congenital , post-surgical like liposuction or post-traumatic.
- Scar treatment: traumatic, surgical and burn scars
Safety of Fat Grafting
A meta-analysis study published in March 2018 studying the safety of fat grafting (lipofilling) in correction of soft tissue deformities in the face. They did analyse 52 scientific relevant studies which included treatment on 1568 unique patients with significant facial defects with follow up period average 1.3 years after their fat grafting surgery. The collected data from the 52 studies reveal a very high patient satisfaction rate of 91.1 % and overall surgeon satisfaction rate of 88.6. Average number of treatments that needed in all these studies was 1.5 times and only 4.8 % of procedures resulted in clinical complications.
So, the investigators of this meta-analytic study concluded that “Fat grafting is an effective technique for treating soft-tissue deformities in head and neck with low rate of minor complications”.
*Meta-analysis: is a statistical analysis that combines the results of multiple scientific studies and clinical trials of a medical treatment, in an effort to obtain a better understanding of how well the treatment works.
- Rastev TK, Beugels J, Hommes J, Piatkowski A, Mathijssen I, van der Hulst R. Efficacy and Safety of Autologous Fat Transfer in Facial Reconstructive Surgery A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. JAMA Facial Plast Surg.Published online March 29, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamafacial.2018.0102